Jody's Peace Corps Experience

Friday, April 13, 2007

Developmental Milestones

I have some exciting news to wrap up my final two months. I received a small grant to design and print Developmental Milestone posters to hang in the center's nursery. The posters focus on the developmental changes infants and babies go through. There are a series of six posters; 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months, 12-18 months and 18-24 months. Suggested activities are also outlined on the posters. The hope is that the direct care staff, volunteers and on-the-job trainees will utilize the posters while working in the nursery. The staff has received a number of trainings on child development, but oftentimes, during the hectic times caring for the children, it's easy to forget what isn't right in front of you.

I have uploaded the posters onto my photo site and they are listed under the photo album called Developmental Milestones Posters. A friend of mine in Sagada, Mountain Province was great and took the photographs of the children on each of the posters. I also have to thank a fellow volunteer who loaned his professional quality digital camera for the photo sessions.

If you take a look at the posters and have any comments, suggestions or criticisms, please let me know in the next couple of days as I have not had them printed yet. I'm really excited about this project as is my center head and the others I've discussed the posters to.