Jody's Peace Corps Experience

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Training and Hospitals

So, it's been another busy 4 weeks! I spent the better part of early September getting ready to help with technical training for the new batch of volunteers (newbies). Myself and another social work volunteer from my batch worked along side a staff member of the training unit of the DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development). For some reason, "crazy" was the theme of our preparations. Anytime all three of us were together the DSWD lady would start singing "Crazy For You" by Madonna.

One day, we had to go to the mall to get supplies for the training. I know that I've explained what videoke is and that it is everywhere. We walked into the mall's department store and there in front of us was a videoke display area...yes, you can buy a home videoke system. All of the store's employees seemed to be singing instead of working. The other volunteer and I got the idea to have the employess sing "Crazy For You" for our counterpart. Instead of them singing, they threw the microphones at the other volunteer and I. We called our counterpart over and started rocking out in the middle of the department store! It was fun and everyone got a kick out of the two Americans singing.

When I got back to Baguio after training, things didn't slow down at all. Instead, it's just as crazy busy here. On Wednesday, one of my sitemates texted me and said that she was being admitted to the hospital. I became her "kasama"...her companion while she stayed there. A kasama is responsible to buy medications that are prescribed. For some reason, not very many hospitals here in the Philippines have their own pharmacies. Instead, the patient's kasama is responsible to purchase necessary medicines.

My sitemate was said to be placed on a high fiber diet during her stay. I don't know if you call a breaded and fried pork chop with white rice high fiber. I know I wouldn't! She was also told to fast for a procedure the following day. The procedure was scheduled for 10am but we didn't get there until 2pm! We were transported to another hospital for the procedure and got to ride in the ambulance.

I'm also excited to announce the arrival of my host sister's baby girl!!! She was born last night, September 28, 2006 at 8:39 p.m. I was able to get to hospital 10 minutes before my host sister devlivered. Both mommy and baby are doing great. Baby doesn't have a name yet, but I'll keep everyone posted.