Jody's Peace Corps Experience

Monday, March 27, 2006

Good-Bye Grandma and Sis!

I've been so insanely busy this month and my mom reminded me that I need to update my website. So the low down on what I've been up to is this:

I went to the municipal fiesta in Tadian, Mountain Province. She lives in a very rural site so it's always fun to get away from the hustle and bustle of city living.

The next weekend, I headed to Manila in preparation of an HIV/AIDS meeting on March 13 and 14. It was great to work with other volunteers and Filipino counterparts to try and start projects to promote HIV/AIDS awareness. I facilitated a session on identifying assets in the community. Then I camped out in Manila for the rest of the week in anticipation of my visitors!!!

Francey and my grandma got into country late on Friday, March 17 and left this morning (Monday, March 27). Very short trip since the first and the last days were only for their flights. I think they enjoyed their time here...at least I know I did. It was so nice to have family around again, but they had some getting used to with bugs, hot and humid weather, toilets without toilet seats and of course, the infamous bucket showers. All in all, I was proud of their adjustments! We went to a lot of really beautiful places...especially in Mindoro Oriental. We had a lot of fun with Fr. Loyd Fiedler. We headed to Baguio afterwards and got to see the sites of the city. This was great because I had never been to most of the sites even though I've been in Baguio for 10 months!

Francey and my grandma also got to meet my host family, the staff and kids at my center as well as a lot of my friends and Peace Corps pals. I think they got a small sense of what life in the Philippines is like. I know they will have a few stories to take back home and share with everyone. I also want to say THANK YOU Francey and grandma for everything they did for me! They hauled a bunch of stuff here for me, my host family and my coworkers! Not to mention what great company and travel companions they were.

I'll be sure to get photos from my sister and grandma's visit in the next week or two, but you can click Here to see photos from the fiesta I went to at Rachel's site.