Jody's Peace Corps Experience

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Disection for Homework

It's quite a full house right now in my host family's house due to semester break. 2 extra kids are in the house so I've been able to get to know these "siblings" a little better the past week and a half. As I was talking to my host brother, who was actually giving me an Ilokano lesson, my youngest host sister came flying into the house with a blue, plastic bag. In a flurry of broken Ilokano, she ran back outside. Then my host brother turns to me and asked, "Would you like to join us on the roof and watch my sister disect a frog?" What the hell, why not.

Now, I was under the impression that the frog was already dead, but I later found out that it was still alive and kickin'! I also assumed that it was a harmless animal, but nope, this particular species is poisonous and excretes the poison through his skin. So we all headed upstairs, my young host sister sporting plastic bags on her hands as the form of protection from the poisonous beast.

With the help of my host brother, she was able to secure the flailing frog onto a piece of particle board as my other two host sisters were squealing and jumping around. All of them jokingly asked me if I had ever had frog and they found it to be quite delicious actually!

I have to admit that I was quite squeemish myself. Not only did they pin the frog to the board while it was alive, my host sister actually disected it while it was alive as well! I felt bad for about two minutes until I realized everyone thought I was somewhat strange for feeling bad for the frog.

As she cut open its belly, the frog puffed out his lungs. Now it looked like there were two bubble gum bubbles on the frog's chest. I was also called over when my sister had found the heart. I was able to see the beating heart as the frog was squirming from the toture it was enduring. I was happy when the other siblings lost interest and I had an excuse to go and read my book. I had forgotten about the experience the next morning until I went to the restroom and found the skinned frog shoved into a glass jar and sitting on the back of the toilet!