Jody's Peace Corps Experience

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Why doesn't that suprise me anymore?

So I've noticed that there are several things about Filipino culture that don't shock me anymore. Here is just a short list:
  • I can eat rice at every meal plus for a snack and not even think twice.
  • The other day an ant was crawling on my lip and it didn't phase me. I just caught it and smashed it and continued reading my book.
  • This morning I went to eat my breakfast and there were ants crawling all over it. No, I didn't throw it away, I blew them all off and ate it anyway (more protien!).
  • I realize after about 10 minutes of "pig screaming" that there must be a party tomorrow and they are butchering the meal.
  • Who cares that we are driving on the wrong side of the street, the oncoming traffic will get out of the way.
  • I find it amusing when drunk Filipino men try and practice their English with me. This is usually when I'm at a birthday party for a 3 year old or at a baptism party.
  • I have become a master texter...it's the fastest and cheapest form of communication. I can abbreviate any word, but it myt tak u a wyl 2 dcyfr it.
  • It's not uncommon for a volunteer (me) to love and hate the Philippines in the same day. I admit that I have laughed and cried all in one day. It's all part of the experience.
  • You said there are chicken intestines for lunch? Hmmm, ok, so I still can't stomach the intestinal delicacies! I passed up that meal for bread and butter!

Things are really starting to feel normal. It's nice to get on a jeepny and have the driver stop at my center without me having to say anything. I'm starting to be able to joke with my coworkers and started to work on some design projects too. Right now I'm helping with a brochure about RSCC to promote their facility and program. I'm also going to create some materials to help recruit new foster families in the area. It's still an up and down rollercoaster ride, with the ups outweighing the downs by far. I'm still looking for my "barkada," or group of friends that I can hang out with, but that's slowing coming too.

Just to warn people, I may be out of touch for a little while. Next Thursday, the 1st, I'll be heading to Manila. I'll be spending 2 weeks in Silang, Cavite for PST 2. I'll be learning technical skills that will help me do my job more effectively. Then I'll be heading on vacation for a week. Should be back to site by the 25th. Not sure where we are going on vacation, but I'll be sure to take pictures and write about it! Ingat (take care)!