Jody's Peace Corps Experience

Monday, April 04, 2005

Heading to Northern Luzon

Yesterday our batch went to Manila for the day. Our bus left at 7 a.m. and it took us almost an hour and a half to get to our location. At one point, there was 12 lanes of traffic!!! Driving is so much different. We saw one car who had a flat tire and didn't bother to pull over; just changed it in the middle of the road.

We had a tour of Intramuros...the oldest part of Manila. Heard the history of the Philippines by a very enthusiastic speaker. It was very informative and explained a lot of the culture and the Spanish/American/Chinese influence on the country.

Then we headed over to the US Embassy and heard a lot of people speak about the relations between the US and Philippines.

Afterwards, we went to Peace Corps Philippines headquarter and got a tour of the facilities. We also were told where we are going. I am going to the region I really wanted to be sent--Norther Luzon. It is the mountainous region of the Philippines. There are also indiginous tribes still previlent there. Very excited!!! I leave tomorrow for my Hub Site (the town we will meet for training). On Saturday, I am sent to my Cluster Site (smaller towns that language and culture training will take place). Very confusing, but hopefully I'll be able to clarify in future posts! I'm off to get ready...repacking, etc. Oh yeah, my bus ride to N. Luzon will take 8-10 hours! Thinking about all of you!