Jody's Peace Corps Experience

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Realizing the Reality!

So the other night, I was laying in bed, thinking to myself about nothing in particular. All of a sudden a thought popped into my head, "I'm leaving for the Philippines in 40 odd days!" I sat straight up in bed and this feeling of excited sadness came over me. I'm so excited to be going on this new adventure, but several people are beginning to get some going away parties planned for me. Talking about leaving is the hardest part. Everyone is so excited with me and at the same time it's getting harder to think about the day that I'll be leaving for 27 months. Everytime I talk to someone, I get closer and closer to tears. I was at my sister's house yesterday and thought for a brief moment that I would start bawling in her garage as we were talking about the tentative date that I'm leaving for staging in Detroit. Even though I feel this way at times, I think about all of the cool people I'm about to meet and the beautiful places I'm going to see. Things seem to be alright again when I think about these things.